Microwave popcorn is convenient, but it is way cheaper to make your own and you have total control over the ingredients. As an added bonus you can make a variety of seasonings to make it a gourmet snacking experience on a budget.
For the basic popcorn, simply combine 1/3 cup of popcorn with 1 tsp vegetable oil and 1/2 tsp salt in a small bowl. Stir well to mix and coat all of the popcorn kernels. Pour the mix into a brown paper lunch sack and fold the top down 2-3 times.
This post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission if you purchase an item via one of my links. Your purchase helps to support this blog at no additional cost to you and allows me to continue to provide delicious recipes and kitchen help. For more information click here.
Lay the bag on its side on a microwave safe plate and cook on high for about 2 minutes. It is done when the popping sound slows to less than 1 pop every 2 seconds or so. Watch and listen closely, it is really easy to over cook and burn the popcorn.
I really like garlic cheese popcorn, and it is a quick and easy topping to make. In a small bowl mix 2 Tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and 1/4 tsp of dill. Melt 2-3 Tbsp of butter or use the same amount of butter flavor topping and pour this over the popped corn. Stir to cover all of the popcorn. Pour the garlic cheese mixture over the now buttery popcorn and stir again to coat well.
I ran across a great post with several additional popcorn topping recipes over at Amanda’s Cookin‘. Things like Mexican Hot Chocolate, Gingerbread and more.
DIY Microwave Popcorn and Seasonings
Super easy DIY microwave popcorn with a plain brown paper bag and multiple topping options.
- 1/3 Cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp melted butter (or butter flavored topping)
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dill
- In a small bowl mix the popcorn kernels, oil and salt
- Place in a brown paper lunch bag and fold the top down 2-3 times
- Lay the bag on its side on a plate and place in the microwave
- Microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Put the popped popcorn in a large bowl
- In a small bowl mix the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and dill
- Pour the melted butter or butter topping over the popcorn and stir well to mix
- Pour the cheese and garlic mixture over the popcorn and stir to mix
Popcorn burns fairly easily if you leave it in the microwave too long, so watch it closely. It is done with the kernels have more than 2 seconds between pops.