Meatless!? Really? Sadly I’ve been advised to limit my carnivorous ways for health reasons. I am NOT a salad guy, (happy for you if you like them, just not my thing) so I am constantly on the lookout for hearty meals that have no meat. If you are from Philly just move on past this post. I can only imagine the comments of blasphemy and hate mail. If, like me, you just want a good meal with no meat read on..
Ingredients (For 2-3 sandwiches)
- 1 package baby portabella mushrooms (8-10oz)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP Soy Sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP flour
- 2/3 cup milk (warmed)
- 4-5oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 Italian sub rolls
- Prep the ingredients – Wash and slice the mushrooms, peel and slice the onion. I also cube the cheese so it will melt easier when it’s time to make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a skillet pan over medium heat. Add the onions. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. give them a stir once or twice while cooking.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 10-12 minutes. Keep stirring every once in a while
- Stir in soy sauce and add pepper to taste. Continue cooking for another five minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
To make the sauce:
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small sauce pan
- As soon as butter is melted, whisk in flour until completely mixed
- slowly whisk in warm milk
- Once flour mixture is completely dissolved in the milk, add cubed cheese. whisk constantly until cheese is completely melted.
Spoon the mushroom/onion mixture onto buns, add cheese sauce, and enjoy!
If you found this recipe helpful or have any questions or comments please feel free to use the comments section below. If you want to see more good stuff from the Old Guy In The Kitchen click the “follow” button here on the blog or visit my other sites: