Everyone needs to unwind once in a while. With some simple tools and some basic ingredients you can throw quite a party – or just enjoy a quiet drink with some close friends. I’m including several easy to make cocktail recipes and tips here that will make you the master of your home bar in no time.
Sugar doesn’t always dissolve well in cold liquids, and nobody wants a grainy drink. For this reason many cocktail recipes call for simple syrup. Sure you can buy plain syrup, but it is really easy to make your own.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Combine water and sugar in a small pan.
- Warm over medium heat, stirring continuously until all sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. For flavored syrup try adding some mint, basil or other herb leaves (or a cinnamon stick) to the pan as soon as you take it off the heat. Allow them to soak in the syrup for 5-10 minutes and remove before bottling or serving.
- Store unused syrup in a clean bottle in refrigerator.
¾ oz. (20 mL) Simple Syrup
¾ oz. (20 mL) lime juice
1½ oz. (45 mL) vodka
2 cups (500 mL) ice, divided
½ cup (125 mL) ginger beer
1 lime wedge(optional)
- Combine the syrup, juice, and alcohol in the large cup of the Cocktail Shaker.
- Add 1 cup of the ice to the large cup, seal the shaker, and shake vigorously.
- Use Cocktail Strainer to strain into a chilled glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer and and garnish with lime wedge.
- 3 oz. (90 mL) rye whiskey
- 1 oz. (30 mL) sweet red
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- 1 cup (250 mL) ice
- maraschino cherry
- Add the whiskey, vermouth, and bitter to the large cup of the Cocktail Shaker.
- Add the ice to the shaker and stir with the Bar Spoon.
- Use the Cocktail Strainer to strain into a chilled glass and garnish with a cherry.
Raspberry Tequila Sangria
- 2 oranges, divided
- 3 limes, divided
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sugar
- 6 cups (1.5 L) ice
- 1 bag (10-12 oz) frozen sweetened raspberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) silver tequila
- ½ cup (125 mL) triple sec
- 1 bottle (750 mL) pink champagne or
- Juice one orange and two limes to measure ¼ cup for each juice
- Combine the juices and sugar in a Small Bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 2–3 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved. Thinly slice the remaining orange and lime.
- Add the ice, juice mixture, orange and lime slices, raspberries, tequila, and triple sec to a large pitcher and stir. Add the champagne and soda.
Place the lid on the pitcher and serve.