Crunchy, savory, spicy and oh so good. If you don’t already love avocados these tacos will make you a believer. The fact that they are meat free is just a bonus.
The ingredient list on this recipe is a bit longer than my normal recipes, but hear me out. The complexity of the flavor is built in layers – crunchy avocado, smooth white sauce, crispy honey lime slaw topped with black bean salsa fresco. Trust me, it’s worth the extra few minutes to gather the ingredients. Much of it can be made a day in advance or several hours before you want to make the tacos.
White Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ Cup plain yogurt (unflavored)
- ½ Cup mayonnaise
- Juice from one lime (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp ground red pepper (optional, adjust to your heat preference)
- In a medium bowl (one with a lid) mix the yogurt and the mayonnaise.
- Add the oregano, cumin, dill and ground red pepper. Stir well.
- Add juice from one lime (about 1 Tbsp). Stir well. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 3 hours.
Honey Lemon Slaw Ingredients:
- 2 Cups shredded cabbage
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- Juice from 2 limes (about ¼ of a cup)
- Put the shredded cabbage in a medium bowl (one that has a lid)
- drizzle the honey over the cabbage
- Add the celery seeds and the lime juice. Stir well to mix. Cover and put in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 3 hours. The acid from the lime juice needs a little time to soften the cabbage)
Salsa Fresco Ingredients:
- 15oz Can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (one of the tomatoes in the pics below was for another recipe)
- 1 Medium onion
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 Red/Orange bell pepper
- ½ Cup fresh cilantro chopped, or 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
- 2 tsp diced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground red pepper (optional for some heat)
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Place them in in a large bowl.
- Core and slice the tomatoes and remove the seeds. Dice into small pieces and add them to the beans
- Dice the onion and the bell peppers and add them to the bowl
- Chop the cilantro and add it to the bowl along with the garlic.
- Add the salt, black and red pepper and stir well.
- Add the juice from 2 limes (about ¼ cup) to the bowl and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
Fried Avocado Ingredients:
- Tortillas (corn or flour, your choice)
- 2-3 Ripe avocados (your get about 4 tacos per avocado)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 Cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs (or 1 cup non-dairy nut/soy milk for vegan recipe)
- Oil for frying
- Pre-heat deep fryer to 375° F
- Cut the avocados in half by slicing down to the pit. Start at the stem and work all the way around. With one hand on each side twist in opposite directions and the avocado will easily come apart. With a short chopping motion drive the knife into the avocado pit. Twist the knife to the side and the pit should pop right out.
- With the pit out of the way slice each half into four pieces, then use a large spoon to scoop the slices out of the husk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour in a small bowl.
- Beat the eggs well and put them in a small bowl. Set this bowl next to the flour.
- Place the panko bread crumbs in a third small bowl, place this next to the eggs.
- Prep each piece of avocado for frying by rolling it in the flour, then the egg wash, and finally in the bread crumbs. Repeat the process until all of the pieces are breaded.
- Fry the avocados in small batches until golden brown. It doesn’t take long, 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Assemble the tacos by placing 2-3 pieces of avocado on a tortilla, top with white sauce, then slaw, then salsa fresco. Feel free to add your favorite hot sauce too.
If you found this recipe helpful or have any questions or comments please feel free to use the comments section below. If you want to see more good stuff from the Old Guy In The Kitchen click the “follow” here on the blog or visit my other sites:
2 thoughts on “Fried Avocado Tacos with Salsa Fresco”
This looks really good will try it for sure
Got the shirt, sure it will be appreciated.
The tacos are awesome. Hope he enjoys the shirt. Wear it with pride.