When you live in the in-between places of a mid-western state like Ohio you attend a lot of pot-luck dinners. Church, birthdays, graduations, funerals, holidays, Boy Scouts, almost any gathering had the potential to be a pot-luck dinner. After you attend a few hundred of these you learn a few things like what you can bring to feed a crowd without spending a fortune or working all day to prepare. You also learn what to avoid (anything with pepperoni sprinkled on top).
I got this creamy chicken sandwich recipe at a church dinner many years ago. Someone else brought it and everyone was raving about it so I made sure to get the recipe. The lady that brought it smiled and said it isn’t really much of a recipe, but she freely shared the secret.
Before I let you in on this little secret, I’ll tell you this. These chicken sandwiches will be a hit at your house or any carry-in dinner. This recipe as is easily feeds 10-12 people. We make it at home and then eat leftovers for a couple of days with no complaints. If you need to feed an army double this recipe and buy lots of buns.
Sunday Dinner Creamy Chicken Sandwiches
These are creamy and delicious shredded chicken sandwiches. This recipe holds well in a crock pot / slow cooker so they are perfect for carry in dinners, graduation parties, etc.
- 36 oz Canned chunk chicken* with broth from can(s) – I use three 12 oz cans
- 10.5 oz Can condensed cream of celery soup
- 10.5 oz Can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 6 oz Box instant chicken stuffing mix
- 1 Cup hot water
- 12 Hamburger Buns
- Put the canned chicken and the broth from the can(s) into a crock pot/slow cooker.
- Use a large spoon or fork to break up any large chunks and spread out the chicken.
- Add both cans of soup
- Add the entire box of instant stuffing mix and one cup of hot water
- Stir well to mix all ingredients
- Cook on low in the slow cooker for 3-4 hours or on high for one hour
- Spoon onto sandwich buns or bread and enjoy.
The nutrition facts assume you are using regular soup and stuffing. You can dramatically reduce the sodium by using low salt/sodium soup and stuffing mix. They still taste just as good but you get considerably less sodium.
2 thoughts on “Sunday Dinner Creamy Chicken Sandwiches”