It is hard to improve on a classic family treat, but this recipe is even better than the ones you had as a kid. How, you might ask, is that possible? More marshmallows. Freeze dried mini marshmallows (like you find in some breakfast cereals) add a fun pop of color and a little more deliciousness to this recipe.
Marshmallow Madness Crispy Rice Treats
A classic family favorite updated with a twist. Crispy rice, gooey marshmallows, and a fun pop of color from cereal style freeze dried mini marshmallows.
- 12 oz Crispy Rice Cereal
- 2 Cups of freeze dried mini marshmallows (like they put in kids cereal)
- 1/2 Cup / 1 Stick of butter
- 2 10 oz packages of mini marshmallows
- Cooking spray oil
- Generously spray a large rectangular baking pan with cooking spray. I used a 10×14.5 pan
- In a large, deep pot melt the butter over medium heat
- As soon as the butter is melted add the 2 bags of mini marshmallows. Stir continuously until all the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove pan from heat. Quickly add 1/2 the cereal and 1/2 the freeze dried marshmallows. Stir until everything is well coated in the melted butter/marshmallow.
- Add the reaming cereal and marshmallows and stir until everything is well coated (and sticky).
- Scoop everything from the pan into the greased baking pan. Use a spatula to spread out and press the mixture into a flat even layer.
- Allow to cool about 20-30 minutes.
- Turn the pan over onto a large sheet of wax paper. Spray a large knife or pizza cutter with cooking spray and cut the large sheet into square.
Grease the baking pan well before you start to make these. You want to move them quickly from the stove to the baking pan before they start to cool.